The newest program that was just released a few months ago is called the 21 Day Fix Extreme and is a more intense version of the original three week 21 day fix program. Autumn, the creator of this program, uses this exact 3 week formula before she heads to a fitness competition or a photo shoot. It is designed to help you get and look shredded.
This is the perfect program for an advanced exerciser perhaps looking to get in shape for a beach vacation, wedding or other special event. But in these 21 days, there can be no cheating or “treats”. It’s a full in, 100% commitment kind of deal to get the best results possible.
Part One: The Workouts
The extreme edition has seven high intensity workouts that target the entire body. These workouts also follow the athletic/boot-camp style of workouts that the first edition features but they are just that much more intense. You will need a few sets of light and heavy weights and also a resistance band to complete these exercises.
- Plyo Fix Extreme: This intense workout is meant to target the lower body and is full of jumping exercises using a combination of weights and resistance to really target the booty and thighs. This one was pretty difficult for me but I felt it in my thighs afterwards and I loved that burn!
- Upper Fix Extreme: This workout is NON-STOP targeting your upper body. No muscle will go unworked! It targets your chest, back, arms and shoulders to help get those lean arms you’ll be proud to boast at the beach in a bikini or trunks!
- Lower Fix Extreme – This workout focuses on strengthening and building the lower body muscles. You’ll do several series of weighted squats and lunges to target the glutes, quads, calves and hamstrings. After doing this workout, I love to flex my calves and feel how hard they are afterwards. This is another one of those workouts that you FEEL the difference afterwards and can feel your body changing.
- Cardio Fix Extreme: This workout is full of intense interval training. That means, you’ll do different routines that are high intensity and then low-intensity routines to help you recover before moving back to high intensity. Interval training is one of the most effective ways to burn fat and calories.
- Yoga Fix Extreme: The previous Yoga Fix is definitely on the relaxed side after you power through this workout! It’s fast-paced and focuses on strengthening, flexibility, improving your balance and endurance.
- Pilates Fix Extreme: In this workout, you will do a series of Pilates strengthening exercises but will use a resistance band to work the core and abdominal muscles. This workout is a powerhouse!
- Dirty 30 Extreme: This bonus workout is another total-body training mixing both cardio interval training and strengthening exercises using light and heavy dumbbells.
I won’t lie, these workouts are TOUGH. I even have to jog on the spot for certain moves with the original 21 day fix workout when my heart rate gets too high. But they are EFFECTIVE! I decided to purchase the 21 day fix extreme because I like to have a lot of variety in my workout routines. I have done both 3 weeks of the original program and 3 weeks of the extreme program and my legs have never been stronger, my stomach has never been flatter. I wanted to try the extreme version before going to the beach this August and I am so pleased I did.
I have tried other workout programs that force you through 7 hour-long workouts a week, and maybe you can push through that for a 2 month segment, but that just isn’t feasible for most people. Dedicating an entire hour a day to a workout video is a long time if you’re a busy mom/dad or have a hectic job. But spending 30 minutes is easy and feasible for both short-term and more importantly, long-term goals. Now that I have completed both programs, I use them to maintain my new body. I usually do the seven days in the same sequence, but if I’m tired I will do “Dirty 30” instead of “Dirty 30 Extreme”. On days where I have more energy, I will do the extreme version of the exercise. This keeps my workouts fresh, fun and attainable depending on how I feel that day.
Part Two: 21 Day Fix Extreme Eating Plan
The eating plan for the extreme edition is very similar to the 21 day fix plan. The containers look slightly different, but they follow the same color coding protocol.
The diet plan guide that comes included with your package will tell you how many colors to eat at which meal/time of the day. The diet is a bit more extreme because the program is literally designed to get you “shredded” as much as possible prior to a special event.
21 Day Fix and Fix Extreme Comparison Summary:
After trying both of these programs in addition to dozens of other fitness programs over the past 10 years, I can assess that this is one of the most all-inclusive and well put together programs I have ever seen. The workouts are simple and easy to follow (no crazy dance moves/complicated choreography). They are designed with the purpose of not only crazy calorie burns, but transforming your body. So many programs designed for women leave out weight lifting or weight training, but that is a MYTH that lifting weights will cause bulking. Women are not designed to bulk up and lifting weights only helps develop lean muscles and burns MORE fat.
Additionally, the workouts are short and sweet. Everyone has 30 minutes to spare to dedicate to working out. I had a gym membership for a year awhile back and I almost never went. Going to the gym takes HOURS out of your day. You have to commute there, get dressed there, usually try to look half decent in your gym gear since you’re in public, shower, get dressed, etc. That might eat up 3 hours of your day. But anyone can roll out of bed, put some running shoes on and pop in a DVD. It’s a quick and easy commitment. The workouts are so short because they are PACKED with exercises and you will be sweating the entire time.
Not only are the workouts incredible, but it comes with an easy-to-follow meal plan. I hate calorie-counting or point counting but it’s also important to be aware of how much you are consuming each day. Because calories add up. But the 21 day fix and extreme programs both come with color containers to make it a no-brainer process to losing weight. It’s simple, it’s fun, and it works.