A common phrase is weight loss is “Lose Weight in the Kitchen, Get Fit in the Gym”, and this couldn’t be more true. Some people say that weight loss is 80% part diet and 20% exercise/working out. You could restrict your calories and lose weight without exercising, but your body would never look “athletic” or “defined”. My 21 day fix review will give you the low down on how this exercise program and the nutrition guide with portion control containers can help you lose weight.
My Personal 21 Day Fix Program Review:
The original program is called the 21 day fix which consists of a 3 week program in which you complete 7 different workout videos each day. The workouts are around 30 minutes each and are easy-to-follow “boot camp”/athletic style. I have tried many different workout videos before that took days and days of practice to get the moves right. Workout or fitness videos with complex choreography is a huge turn-off for me, and that is why I love these workout videos. They are simple to follow yet extremely effective.
The workouts can be adjusted whether you are a beginner or an advanced exerciser. There is a woman in the video who does the “adjusted” or “low-impact” option for those who are starting out. I exercise regularly, but even I had to adjust and do some of the low-impact versions of the moves to get through some of the workout segments. They are very powerful and intense workouts designed to workout your entire body and burn the most amount of calories that you can in 30 minutes. That way, you don’t need to spend over an hour at the gym to get the same results from home. Let me take you through the workouts now:
Part One: 21 Day Fix Workouts and Equipment
- Exercise or Yoga Mat
- Set of light weights and heavy weights
- Beginners: 3 pound dumbbells and 5 pound dumbbells
- Advanced: 5 pound dumbbells and 8 pound dumbbells
Workout 1: Total Body Cardio Fix
- This workout literally does it all. It starts off with a warm-up that leads into four rounds of exercises (you complete each round twice to work both sides of your body)
- The exercises are a mixture of cardio based (jumping jacks, running) with weight-training as well. The final round completes the session with some ab work (crunches and side crunches) before finishing off with a stretch.
Workout 2: Upper Fix
- The second workout focuses on training your upper body. Again, you begin with a warm-up to get your body ready for an intense work-out full of arm toning and strengthening exercises.
- This workout has 4 rounds before finishing with a stretch.
Workout 3: Lower Fix
- This third workout is all about working the lower body: legs, thighs and butt! You will do a series of weighted squats, lunges and butt/leg lifts. This workout is a killer, and I mean that in a good way! I could barely sit down the day after doing this for the first time because I could feel it in my glutes and hamstrings.
- That feeling of “sore” after an intense workout is the best feeling because it proves to you that something is HAPPENING. Many other cardio or dance workouts i have tried work up a sweat so you burn calories, but you don’t feel your muscles working the way you do when you mix strength-training and cardio. And building muscle is the fastest way to burn fat.
Workout 4: Pilates Fix
- Now, in all honesty I am not a huge fan of Pilates but this workout is essential after all the tough and intense exercises you’ve been doing in the other workouts. It helps to give you that strength, endurance and flexibility you need to get through your other workout days. A lot of people swear by Pilates for being responsible for their lean muscles and low body fat, so it really is an important part of the program. The Pilates day also gives a bit of a break from the other more intense days of the 21 day fix.
Workout 5: Cardio Fix
- The fifth workout is all about the cardio! 30 minutes of burning and sweating working the full body with 4 rounds of intense cardio exercises such as jumping jacks, butt-kicks, side runs, etc. Cardio is one of the best exercises to do when you’re trying to burn calories fast!
Workout 6: Dirty 30
- In the sixth workout, it’s 30 minutes of total body workout. It’s quite similar to workout one but more intense.
Workout 7: Yoga Fix
- The final workout is a relaxing all-body stretch and flexibility yoga routine. A lot of people will be tempted to want to skip this workout or opt for one of the more intense workouts but it is really imperative that you do this yoga routine each week. After training your body with such intense exercises, you need to stretch out those muscles not only to help repair but to help increase flexibility so the workouts become easier to do time and time again.
You will repeat these seven workouts for another two weeks to finish the 21 day cycle. I recommend taking before and after measurements and logging your weight down before your first workout on Day 1. You can then retake the measurements and weigh yourself on the morning after your last workout and you will see how many pounds and inches you have lost in total.
I have tried dozens and dozens of workout programs and exercise videos and I have to say that this program is one of my favorites. After you complete this program, you’ll be ready for the advanced 21 Day Fix Extreme program. Not only are the workouts short (30 minutes each) but they are EFFECTIVE and easy to follow. You can increase the intensity by using heavier weights or performing each move faster, or you can decrease the intensity if the workout is too difficult for you.
Part Two: 21 Day Fix Containers and Eating Plan
One of the things I love about the 21 day diet plan is how simple it is. Many popular diets over complicate things by asking you to count calories or “points” and you end up fretting about every little thing you eat through out the day or running to your PC or phone to log in the “tablespoon of ranch dressing” to add up the calories.
This diet makes everything much less complicated. When you order your 21 day fix fitness program, it comes with 7 color coded containers that are designed to make eating for weight loss super simple. Each color is designated to a different category:
- Purple – Fruits
- Green – Vegetables
- Red – Proteins
- 2 Orange: Seeds and Dressings
- Yellow: Carbohydrates
- Blue: Healthy Fats
Included in your package is an eating plan which tells you how exactly to use and fill up the containers throughout the day. The containers ensure you are eating just enough each time so you are never hungry and never over-eating. Such a simple plan and easy to follow!
Already have the workouts or only want to follow the nutrition portion of this program? No problem! You can get the containers and more affordable versions than the official Beachbody containers. There are various options below:
Alternative Container Options for the 21 Day Fix Program
This set contains all 7 containers you need to get started with the program. The set also includes a detailed guide on how to use the containers and they are leak proof so you can take them with you on the go.
They are affordable enough to pick up a few sets so you are never without containers to use while doing the 21 day fix program!
This is another great option for containers you can use with the Fix program. They are BPA Free and the set also includes a printed guide to help you assess how many containers you should have each day or at each meal.
It has helped me to have a few sets handy of these containers so I can bring them with me and not worry about having to have them washed and ready at all times.
The easiest way to monitor your intake each day and stay on track is to print off worksheets that you can just tick off the boxes to make sure you are meeting and not going over your daily needs. I have custom designed some printable worksheets for you for the 1200-1500 calorie brackets and 1500-1800 calorie brackets. All I ask is that you give me a share or like to access the sheets for free! 🙂
If you are a beginner, intermediate or even advanced exerciser, the 21 day fix program is an excellent workout series designed to help you lose weight in a fast manner not only with a simple easy eating plan, but with incredible workouts to get you a lean and sculpted body if you are willing to work for it.
What Equipment Do I Need for the Workouts?
While the 21 day fix original and extreme workout programs rely primarily on using your own body to help you burn calories, you are expected to have a few things in order to help you complete the workout. Each day, you will need to use a light set of weights or dumbbells to perform the strength-training exercises. The dumbbell size depends on your level of strength. If you don’t generally lift any weights (or carry around toddlers all day), you might be happy using a set of 2 or 3 pound dumbbells. If you are quite strong already, you will get the best results using 3-5 pound dumbbells.
I personally have a set of three different sizes, (2 lbs, 3 lbs and 5 lbs). I find that some exercises are extremely difficult for me and I need to switch from 5 lbs to 2 lbs. When you are working larger muscles, you will be able to use heavier dumbbells, such as working your leg muscles with lunges or squats. But if you are working smaller muscles like your triceps, you’ll need to use a lighter weight. For this reason, I have a nice little set of 3 pairs of dumbbells from Tone Fitness as it comes with a nice little rack to place them on so they don’t roll around on my floor and they look tidy in the corner of my living room. I definitely recommend having different sizes of weights available to you so you can change them according to your level of strength and increase the weights as you get stronger.
Secondly, you’ll need a yoga or fitness mat for when you’re doing both ab work and other strength training exercises. In one of the exercises called the “Surrenders”, you need to hold weights while you transfer from a standing up position to a lunge position and onto your knees on the floor, and repeat this process for a minute. These exercises can be hard on the knees, so I recommend investing in an extra thick yoga mat so you don’t hurt your knees and can get through the set of exercises easily.
Sivan Health Fitness has developed a 1/2 inch thick mat which works extremely well for me – I can’t feel my knees or any pressure whatsoever when I kneel down doing the exercises and that makes it a lot easier to get through so I can focus on working my thighs and calves as I should be rather than suffering through knee pain!
Extra Supplementary Products for your Package:
One of the most important parts to success with this program is meal planning. Since you need to eat your meals based on planned portions using the color containers, many people opt to order several sets of the containers below to have all of their daily and weekly meals planned and stored in the fridge in advance:
However, it is more affordable to purchase one set of 21 day fix containers or use the set included with your package. Then use those to help you fill out Chefland’s 10 piece set of 3-compartment containers. You can do several days or a week’s worth of planning and the 10 piece set costs under $15.
The picture below was taken by one of the women who has lost weight using the program and she easily plans her meals for the weeks using these containers and the original containers to help divide the portions into the Chefland containers.
As you can see, she has planned out meals using the containers for 5 days and used the included portion control containers to measure out each meal.
For example, at dinner if you need to eat 1 protein, 1 carb and 1 serving of vegetables, you could place the contents of 1 red container, 1 yellow container and 1 green container into of the chefland containers. This is by far the easiest and most affordable option to keep on track with the 21 day fix diet plan.
This program is one of the most comprehensive weight loss programs on the market. Not only does it include incredible workout videos to help build muscle and burn fat, but it includes everything you need to follow an easy eating plan without any of the guessing and counting involved in other programs.
You don’t need to order all the extra supplements to get started, but they will make things just a bit easier when it comes to meal planning and ensuring you stick to the diet throughout the week. I definitely recommend this program and hope my 21 day fix review will help guide you in the right direction for a lasting solution to weight loss.